It is rich, and in this video I show how to make the traditional or the basic pastry cream version. However, it can be flavored differently, with either lemon, chocolate, almond, etc. This cream is used in Pain Aux Raisins, Almond Cream Filled Croissants, Eclairs (Recipe coming soon), Apple tart, and many other recipes.
- 2 cups milk (500 ml)
- 1/2 cup sugar (100g)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (40g)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (30g)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a sauce pan, mix the milk and the granulated sugar and bring to a boil
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, the egg, powdered sugar and flour.
- Slowly, add the milk mixture to the egg mixture while whisking.
- Pour the mixture back to the sauce pan and cook over medium to low heat while whisking until it thickens up.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Cover with a plastic wrap until needed and make sure it is completely cool before use.