with the little bit of Orange Blossom Water I used to shape them, make these cookies unique and absolutely delicious. I have purchased the Orange Blossom Water in an Arab store, but I'm sure you can order it online if you can't find an Arab store near you.
- 1 pound raw almonds (500g)
- 8 oz powdered sugar (250g)
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Orange Blossom Water
- Just like in the Almond Chocolate Pie Recipe to remove the skin from the almonds, cover almonds in boiling water and soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and remove skin using your fingers or with a cloth as shown in the video. Allow the almonds to dry completely by letting them sit on a paper towel or a clean, dry cloth uncovered for a few hours or overnight.
- Turn the oven of BROIL to preheat.
- Process the almonds and powdered sugar (save some for decoration) until you obtain a thick paste.
- Add the salt, vanilla and butter. I did not show the step where I added melted butter in the video just because I forgot to record it =) Aren't you glad you're reading this?!
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time while mixing well with your hand.
- Finally, add the baking powder, roll the dough into fairly big balls and roll in powdered sugar before placing in a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper).
- Place the cookies on the bottom rack of the oven. Turn the oven off and let them bake for about 15 minutes (baking time depends on the size of the cookies so check on them after 12 minutes). The cookies need to puff up but do not over bake them; they need to stay white and not turn brown.
- (Make Moroccan Mint Tea, invite some friends over and) Enjoy!!!
This recipe makes 38 cookies:
Nutritional Facts Per Serving:
108 cal, 9 g carbs, 7 g fat, 3 g protein