I make these tortillas at least once a week and needless to say I have gotten really good at making them. The secret is to try and make them as thin as possible. That way they will need less time to cook and therefore they will remain soft and flexible.
- 3 cups all purpose flour (or wheat flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
The thinnest you make them the better ;)
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the oil and work it into the flour with your fingers until fully incorporated.
- Add the water a little at a time until obtaining a smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into small balls; the smaller the balls, the thinner your tortillas will be.
- Let the balls of dough rest for 15 minutes before rolling them and cooking them one at a time for a couple minutes (or less depending on how thin you make them) on a medium/ high heated pan.