This is a family favorite!!
Everybody loves Doughnuts so we might as well make them ourselves!
The recipe I am sharing with you today is a result of multiple failures and messes.
I have tried so many doughnut recipes before and have never been satisfied with how they turned out. Therefore, I came up with my own combination and I'm happy to say that it's a keeper.
These doughnuts do not
absorb the oil while frying so you are not left with a yucky oil after taste when you bite into them. They are great even if you decide not to fry them at all and go with the healthier alternative of baking them.
How to make Doughnuts!! (beignets)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Frying oil
- Granulated sugar to decorate
- In a small sauce pan warm up the milk and water.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, powdered sugar, salt and dry yeast. Mix in the warm milk and water. Add the vanilla and beaten egg. Knead the dough and soft and smooth; add a few drops of warm water if needed.
- Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough until 1/8 inch thick.
- Shape the doughnuts by cutting a big circle and a smaller circle inside. You can use any round utensil to do so.
- Let the doughnuts rise for about 40 minutes.
- In a large pan pour 1/2 inch of frying oil and allow to get hot before placing the doughnuts.
- Fry for a few minutes of both sides until golden brown.
- Place the doughnuts of a paper towel to dry off the excess oil, then dip in white sugar.