Do you have a little one who doesn't enjoy eating vegetables? Or maybe you are not a big vegetable eater yourself. This recipe is a great way to eat those vegetables and actually enjoy them!! Otherwise if you LOVE your vegetable then this recipe has your name on it. The favors blend perfectly together so you don't taste one vegetable over the other. By the way, you can keep the secret of using carrots and zucchini in your lasagna between you and I and I assure you nobody will notice it.
All and all you get a delicious, nutritional, unique, creative and under 200 calories/ serving lasagna!!
- 8 oz Lasagna (9 CREAMETTE noodles)
- 16 oz fresh spinach
- 2 large onions chopped into small cubes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 3 medium diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 cups grated butternut squash
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pan filled with salted water to a boil to cook the lasagna noodles. Cook your noodles as directed on the packaging (don't over cook the noodles since they will cook again in the oven). Rinse with cool water and drain.
- Grate the carrots, squash, zucchini and finely chop the onions. In a first sauce pan cook on medium heat the carrots, squash and one of the onions and in a second one cook the zucchini and the other onion.
- Crush the garlic cloves and add them to both pans.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce to the first pan. Season your tomato sauce with salt, cumin, thyme and paprika.Turn the heat to high, uncover the pan and let the sauce thicken. Meanwhile, turn the heat to high on the other pan, add the spinach and a little bit of the salt, give it a good mix around and remove from the heat before the spinach starts "metling".
- To prepare the white sauce or sauce béchamel; on a medium to low heat melt the butter in a small sauce pan, add the flour and mix well. Add the milk and keep mixing until the sauce starts boiling. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix the white sauce with the spinach mixture and a little bit of cheese.
- Preheat your oven at 400F.
- In your lasagna pan, start by a layer of the tomato sauce mixture, then a layer of the noodles, next a layer of the spinach and white sauce mixture and top it with a layer of noodles. Repeat the layers in this order. Lastly, finish with a layer of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook uncovered in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.